Saturday November 9th
|Basilica of St. John Lateran (The Pope's Cathedral) in Rome|
The temple was filled,
With dirt and grime,
Selling and cheating,
Lying and crime.
Zeal for the temple,
Consumed Our Lord.
Turning over tables,
Many looked for the door.
There is no escape,
From the filth inside,
Except by a scourging,
Of our deepest pride.
The temple, the body.
The whip, confession.
Read the Gospel closely,
To understand this lesson.
The body is the temple,
Of the Holy Spirit, this is true.
Christ has zeal for your temple,
And with the holy whip will renew.
Submit to the cleansing,
Cast out what is unclean,
And like your dear Savior,
Rise again to be seen.
Share in the Resurrection,
Will be yours on that day,
If you clean your temple,
And cry, "Take these things away."
FROM THE SAINTS - "Whenever we come to a church, we must prepare our hearts to be as beautiful as we expect this church to be. Do you wish to find this basilica immaculately clean? Then do not soil your soul with the filth of sins. Do you wish this basilica to be full of light? God too wishes that your soul be not in darkness, but that the light of good works shine in us, so that he who dwells in the heavens will be glorified. Just as you enter into this church building, so God wishes to enter into your soul..." - Saint Caesarius of Arles (taken from the Liturgy of the Hours for the Feast of the Dedication of Saint John Lateran)
More poetry by James M. Hahn available in The Last Dragon and other Poems, available soon. To be the first to know when it is available send an email to be placed on the contact list. Who knows you may even receive an advanced copy for review...
Earn money by sharing this blog post!
It's easy and free, learn how here!
How to get better at prayer.
- Set a prayer appointment - Set a time on your calendar each day to meet and speak with God.
- Slowly increase your prayer time. - Don't jump in with an hour right from the get-go. Build up your "tolerance" so to speak.
- Commit - to praying and slowly increasing your prayer time for 30 days. Mark off the days on your calendar. If you miss a day, jump right back in, don't give up.
- Pray - praying is talking to God, it's spending time with your attention focused on Him. I enjoy spending time with my children regardless of their level of development. God is the same way. Spend time praying as best you can. Use formal prayers if you want or simply speak in conversation. Don't forget to listen
- Journal - Our newly revised 4 Simple Steps to Better Scripture Meditations: Guide, Workbook, and Journal walks you through 4 easy steps that will help you go deeper in your prayer life. It includes 31 days of workbook and journal pages too!
- Read other good books about how to pray better - Prayer Primer, Deep Conversion, Deep Prayer, Time for God, The Spiritual Life: A Comprehensive Guide to Catholics Seeking Salvation.